Monday, February 21, 2011

Dysfunctional Literacies of Exclusion (Mandi Chikombero)

In Dysfunctional Literacies of Exclusion,  Mandi Chikombero analyzes the novel "Nervous Conditions" by Tsitsi Dangarembga. This books talks about the hardships that black women endured throughout  slavery. The hardships included; harsh working conditions, baring multiple children by multiple men, and other demeaning situations. "Nervous Conditions" also talks about literacy and how each character was affected by it. Chikombero discusses  different literacies and concludes by stating that being black, female and literate comes with consequences. Whether the price is good or bad, take the risk.

Mandi Chikombero couldn't have said it better. The challenges that my ancestors went through to create their spot in this world makes me want to take the risk of literacy acquisition in every possible way. This reading inspired me to realize that my everyday actions should honor my ancestors. I now know that without them and their sacrifice, I would not be able to attend Spelman College or anywhere else. It was encouragement and strength that brought my ancestors through all of the tough times. I will always have them in  mind when I accomplish something, I receive an award, or when I move from one aspect of my life to another. I honor previous generations before me in all that I do and all that I have become. I would not be able to call myself BLACK, FEMALE and most importantly, LITERATE.

No comments:

Post a Comment