Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Going Against the Grain


Going Against the Grain was an article that talked about African Americans countless attempts to have a true place in this world. This article was also about African American women and their struggle to be in the world as well as to prove themselves literate. This article went through many sections such as an appeal to character, some history and things to happen in the future.
I was very amazed and influenced by this article. To read about all the fascinating things that black women have done to acquire literacy is astonishing. I was most inspired by Maria Stewart. Her except called to fight for all rights according to women no matter how big, small or far-fetched it was. Stewart, being a pioneer of black women essayist, fought for her rights. She went through many trials and tribulations but her circumstances only fuled her fire to continue. For example, Stewart lost her husband and was denied to recieve the funds that he left behind. An average woman would have gave up and lost hope because of just losing their husband alone but Stewart kept going and worked harder.
With her words and experiences, I now know what I have to do to maintain my position in this world. No matter how many punches are thrown at me, no matter how many look downs or hurtful things that are said to me, I still need to move up and move on. There were many women who fought for my right to have a place so I have to do right to keep my place. I have to go against all odds. I have to go against all fallacies and most importantly, I have to GO AGAINST THE GRAIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment