Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Literacy and the Black Woman (Sharon Darling)

         Sharon Darling's segment on Literacy and the Black Woman talks about Black women and their struggle to become literate. Darling touch base on specific history of a Black woman's literacy while also looking into the future. In her  conclusive  writings, she states, "Although it seems she has lost the war of achieving literacy to uplift herself and her race, she continues the battle everyday" (Darling 24). Darling was implementing that a Black woman deserves the right to be and can be literate, however, with the constant struggles of having a spot in this world and harsh stereotypes, a Black woman fights constantly to prove to others that she can achieve literacy and become a positive example to her race.
        Being a black woman, I can truly understand Darling's approach to "Literacy and the Black Woman" and I completely understand the struggle. Even with going to a prestigious HBCU, receiving a top notch scholarship and being one of 10% in my class, I am still looked as an "illiterate" black woman to outside people. They look at my skin and immediately see the incapability’s that I have. They stereotype me before I even open my mouth and because of this outlook, I have to work harder to prove that I am something better than what they "think". It is hard and very sad to have to work harder than the next race to prove how smart, or how literate I am. Some women, especially white women, do not go through the things that I go through, or feel the things that I feel and still get ahead way faster than I do. And because of their fast progression, it sometimes lead me to want to give up. However, because I am strong, I refuse to give up. I just work harder. I believe that if there are more black women out there who don't give up and just work harder then "we" as a whole can stomp on the thought that black women are illiterate and incapable. It will take some time but let's just think of it as fine wine. The older it gets, the better it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment